Thomas Bland Sculpture of our Guiding Principles

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

First Grade-Raggedy Ann is a Hoosier!

The artist, Johnny Gruelle, was born in Illinois but he was raised in Indiana and began his art career as a political cartoonist for the Indianapolis Star. His story characters became dolls and are known throughout the world as Raggedy Ann and Andy. His story is a rich heritage for Hoosier children so I teach my first graders about him and we draw them using lines and shapes and we tuck them in with paper, woven blankets just like his real-life daughter, Marcella, did. This lesson gives me the opportunity to read several of his stories to my students (I love to read to the children!)and share old cartoons and illustrations with them. It's a little bit of Indiana history too.

No comments:

Post a Comment